Thursday, September 25, 2008

I want a gold star!

We have started our own Gold Star Program with our kids. We are trying to reinforce positive behavior and help our kids think of others. How it works: Gold Stars are earned when you go above and beyond with your actions. For example, picking up your toys without being asked, helping a sibling without Mom/Dad encouraging the behavior, being the peacemaker, etc. You do not earn them for following directions or being a good listener...you get the idea. Once a child has earned 10 gold stars, they get to plan a date with Mom or Dad. It has worked well. I have seen my kids think of nice things they can do for each other. Connor will often give up toys he is playing with for Jeffrey, who is in the "grabbing" stage. Many times they will come to me and ask, "Do I get a gold star for...." It's really fun and cute to watch!

Sometimes, as a mother, I feel underappreciated. I feel like I do nice things and at times get little thanks in return....so I started giving myself gold stars. The kids looked at me funny, at first, like I couldn't participate in their reward program. But after a few times of saying, "That's a gold star for Mommy!" the older kids understood what I was doing and would thank me for helping and serving them without being asked.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

THat is a great program! We need to mix up our "marble" program here soon. And you get an extra gold star for blogging. When you get 10 do you get to plan a date too?

Bob and Julie said...

Cute blog!! So glad you made the blogging jump...you're amazing! The kids are cute. I like the gold star idea! I agree with Rachel...you deserve a gold star too! And...going on the agreeing side...I'm thinking that Stephanie just may be onto something with those blondies looking like they should be her kids. Oh my goodness!! What cuties!! I can't wait to check back!